Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Chasing Chickens

How many of you can say that you have a picture of yourself holding a chicken?
 
My parents raised chickens, and I'd often be the "go-to person" to catch the chickens that escaped from the chicken house. It was an important job because if nightfall came -  the coyotes would get them. 

I was a fast kid with boundless energy - so my parents thought I was the perfect person for the job -- or they just wanted me out of the house!

I could either chase, chase after them until they tired - I've always been overactive, or I could surround them by making various mazes and traps. 

My parents owned an avocado ranch and there were hundreds of wooden boxes stored next to the chicken house. I was a smart kid, so after a few tries at outrunning the chickens, I started building traps to corner the intelligence-challenged birds. That worked. It was easier and more efficient.

I found in my first 20 years of screenwriting that chasing my dream of getting to see my name up on the big screen is a lot like chasing chickens. I've been writing and writing and not catching any producers, agents, or managers. I was getting tired. 

Two years ago - I had the resources I needed - a "fixed" income  after selling my software company, which meant I didn't have to chase after clients and investors, and I had the funds, although limited - to spend on my "boxes." 

Since I don't have unlimited funds, I create a budget each month of what I can spend. I've been using my children's book writing, screenplay contests, listing services, pitching fees, editors, marketing, experts etc., as my boxes and now with a manager - I think that chicken is almost surrounded! I'm very close to getting a writing gig for adapting an amazing book. 

Tune in next month to learn more.

Did I catch the chicken?  I like to think so, but upon reflection of my childhood, I think the fun was in the chase and planning, setting up my boxes - doing the work - and, of course, running. A big part of life is to always be chasing the chickens!




No comments:

Post a Comment